Tuesday, July 2, 2013

One Year Cancer Free!

So I might be putting the cart before the horse, but as of my birthday on June 20, I marked one year of being cancer free. I will get confirmation (hopefully) on July 30 when I go see my doctor, but I figure one year of knowing it was gone is worth celebrating. I got to spend the day with my family flying to Kansas City to see more family. It was so nice to be with people who I love and who love me. It is truly humbling to be sick and realize what an amazing life you have and how you just want it to continue and how much you want to just live. I look at my kids and am I so grateful to have them and for their health. Especially my son who endured cancer removal surgery with me and is now a thriving little 8 month old who is perfect. 

So I will take this time to say a friendly reminder to always have your doctor check your thyroid at your yearly exam - they just feel it through your neck and can tell if there is a lump that needs to be checked. Thyroid cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers, especially among young women. It is important anyway to get your yearly physical, so make sure they are checking your thyroid for lumps and your thyroid levels through a blood draw. 

I am also very grateful to my support woman, Anne, who helped me through the time that I was pregnant with cancer. I met Anne via an organization called Hope for Two. Hope for Two is an organization that provides a support woman who has gone through something similar to what you are going through. Anne had thyroid cancer while pregnant as well. She was amazing in helping me understand things and just someone who was there that understood what I was feeling and going through. A friend, Shannon, told me about this organization as she too went through cancer while pregnant. Shannon was also a great resource and help. I am so grateful for these two women and their support. If you ever hear of a friend or loved one who has to go through pregnancy with cancer, please connect them with Hope for Two. It is truly an invaluable resource. 

Finally, I leave you a photo of myself and my warrior baby on my birthday. I am so grateful that he and I made it through everything and are healthy and enjoying life. So very truly blessed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment